BellesBookshelf

Belle's Bookshelf

"With a dreamy far-off look, and her nose stuck in a book..."

What Maisie Knew
Henry James
My Friend the Enemy
Dan Smith
Worlds of Arthur: Facts and Fictions of the Dark Ages
Guy Halsall

Graffiti Moon

Graffiti Moon - Cath Crowley 1. It takes place all in one night, which adds at least 70% more awesomeness.2. It's told from two (and a half) perspectives: Lucy, who is on the hunt for graffiti artist Shadow and Ed, who secretly is Shadow. Seeing both points of view as they get to know one another, keep secrets and miscommunicate is a lot of fun. The half perspective is the occasional poetic insight from the mind of Leo, a.k.a. Shadow's partner in crime, Poet.3. The writing is gorgeous. It reminds me of Melina Marchetta in its raw beauty.4. The characters are all well fleshed-out, unique and likable. Even when they're planning to do kind of terrible things, you can't help but root for this bunch.5. There are so many adorable interactions that will make you want to squee. Ed and Lucy have a strong chemistry from the start, even when they supposedly hate each other.6. It's about art and the way it touches your soul. Crowley paints colours with her words as vividly as Shadow does with his spray cans.7. It's also about love and finding yourself, but not in a cheesy, naff way. It's incredibly authentic in its untidiness while still being uplifting and hopeful.8. It's set in the beautiful city of Melbourne. I want to go to there (seriously, I can't believe I've never been!).9. You won't want to put it down. It's one of those books you devour every chance you get.10. It won't take long to read, but it will leave a lasting impression. It's lovely and brilliant and wonderful and every good adjective you can think of.