BellesBookshelf

Belle's Bookshelf

"With a dreamy far-off look, and her nose stuck in a book..."

What Maisie Knew
Henry James
My Friend the Enemy
Dan Smith
Worlds of Arthur: Facts and Fictions of the Dark Ages
Guy Halsall
The Amber Amulet - Craig Silvey, Sonia Martinez 10 reasons you should read this book:1. Craig Silvey's wonderful, beautiful prose that perfectly encaptures the whimsy, imagination and uncertainty of childhood.2. The gorgeous illustrations and design of the book overall. It has a really cool vintage vibe and is just lovely.3. The Masked Avenger, a lonely 12-year-old boy by day and a fearless hero at night, who saves his neighbourhood from evil - and flat tyres. He has so much heart, I just wanted to give him a hug. 4. Richie the Powerbeagle, The Masked Avenger's trusty sidekick, who has an in-built alarm system (a.k.a. muzzle), trouble detection (a.k.a. nose), ocular friend/foe identification (a.k.a. eyes) and a semaphorical communication device (a.k.a. tail).5. It's about the power of gemstones and metals and the natural wonders of the earth, and makes me want to have an Amazing Powerbelt of my own.6. It's also about love, and loneliness, and family, and friendship, and frustrated dreams, and fulfilling dreams, and life-changing moments, and the way we're all connected.7. It showcases the best side of humanity and gives you hope that there are people out there who just want the best for you, even if you don't know it.8. It's funny, and touching, and a little heartbreaking but a lot more heartwarming.9. It will only take you an hour to read but it will put a smile on your face for longer than that.10. Do you really need any more reasons? OK, how about because I said so? No, seriously, you won't regret it. Earlier...Will read this as soon as I can see straight again... *fangirling*