BellesBookshelf

Belle's Bookshelf

"With a dreamy far-off look, and her nose stuck in a book..."

What Maisie Knew
Henry James
My Friend the Enemy
Dan Smith
Worlds of Arthur: Facts and Fictions of the Dark Ages
Guy Halsall
Messy - Heather Cocks, Jessica  Morgan After being disappointed by Spoiled, the Fug Girls' first foray into fiction, I wasn't sure I was going to bother with its sequel, Messy. But when I was searching for a fun and fluffy read to take on my honeymoon, Messy stood out to me as the perfect choice. And it was, with just the right mix of humour and hijinks making for an easy, breezy beach read.I don't know whether it was my lower expectations, the shift in character focus or the fact that Cocks and Morgan's fiction abilities have developed since their first book (probably all of the above), but I liked Messy a lot more than Spoiled. Instead of focusing on naive and new-to-Hollywood Molly, Messy centres around Max, a spunky, green-haired outsider who loves to mock the superficial world that surrounds her. Snarkiness is what Cocks and Morgan do best, and the wit that makes Go Fug Yourself so brilliant shines through Max. When she takes a job as a ghost-blogger for her friend Molly's spoiled, attention-seeking half-sister Brooke, you know exactly what will happen - and you know it will be hilarious. While Cocks and Morgan don't deliver anything revelatory, they sure know how to entertain.My husband read it after me and when I asked him what he thought, he responded, "It filled in the time." After further prompting, he said, "It was a good, light read. I didn't learn anything from it."That pretty much sums it up, folks. Messy is fun. Just fun. Which is all it needs to be.*An extended review (with bonus rambling and pretty pictures) appears on my blog.