BellesBookshelf

Belle's Bookshelf

"With a dreamy far-off look, and her nose stuck in a book..."

What Maisie Knew
Henry James
My Friend the Enemy
Dan Smith
Worlds of Arthur: Facts and Fictions of the Dark Ages
Guy Halsall
On the Jellicoe Road - Melina Marchetta Oh boy. I’ve been putting off writing this review, partly because I just don’t think I’ll be able to do justice to this wonderful book. And also…Seriously. So many emotions. To the point where every time I’ve tried to write this review in my head*, I’ve been unable to form coherent sentences. I just have all these FEELINGS. All I can think is… oh, the heartbreak! The pain! The love! The awesomeness! The flashbacks! The mystery! The beautiful, beautiful language! The characters! Raff! Taylor! WEBB! FITZ! JONAH MOTHER EFFING GRIGGS!So, yeah, that’s what’s been going on with me. I’m going to try to be slightly more articulate, but please forgive me if every so often I resort to crying in the corner.I didn’t know a helluva lot going into On the Jellicoe Road, other than the fact that it’s supposed to be freaking awesome and Jonah Griggs is amazeballs, if the blogosphere is anything to go by (which it totally is, natch). I knew it centred around a girl who’d been abandoned at a 7/11 by her mum, that it involved some kind of territory wars, and that it told two stories simultaneously – one in the past and one in the present. I have to say, not knowing any more than that was a really good thing. While it was initially a little disconcerting to have no idea what was going on, it made the mystery and the final revelations all the more powerful. One of the best parts of On the Jellicoe Road was the way the plot was slowly unraveled and everything began to click into place, as the events of the past and present converged. There are so many amazing twists in the plot, and the way they’re revealed in a non-linear manner is very effective – and totally heartbreaking.Ahem. Yes, this book is incredibly sad. But – importantly - it’s not depressing. There's a big dose of tragedy in there, but it’s also filled with hope, healing and even a touch of humour. The very reason it’s so sad is also part of its warmth, as there's a strong sense of connection with the characters. Like all Marchetta’s novels, On the Jellicoe Road features chracters who are extremely strong, realistic, unique and, well, downright amazing. I loved them all – but I especially adored the five in Hannah’s story. It was so interesting to see the way they were intertwined with Taylor’s story. And did I mention it was heartbreaking?This is one of those books that stays with you for days after finishing it (and possibly longer – I’ll keep you posted). Partly because of the characters. Partly because of all the twists and turns in the plot. But mostly because everything is so bloody perfect.*Random side note: Does anybody else write things out in their head before putting anything on the page/screen? This review and more appear on my blog.