BellesBookshelf

Belle's Bookshelf

"With a dreamy far-off look, and her nose stuck in a book..."

What Maisie Knew
Henry James
My Friend the Enemy
Dan Smith
Worlds of Arthur: Facts and Fictions of the Dark Ages
Guy Halsall
Anna and the French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins I am in love with this book. Majorly, totally, butt-crazy in love. I love the story, I love the writing, and I love the setting. I love the secondary characters, I love Anna and I love, love, love, love, LOVE √Čtienne St. Clair.There are two things I don't love about it, though: the name and the cover. Unfortunately, those two things made me dismiss it for months. Sure, I had it in my TBR pile, because I was vaguely attracted to the description on the back - about a girl sent to boarding school in France, where she meets a totally swoon-worthy (and totally unavailable) boy. But, I'm ashamed to say, I judged it by the cover. That cover is cheesy. And the name? Also kinda cheesy. So I assumed the book would be cheesy, too. Of course, there's nothing wrong with that. I enjoy a bit of cheesiness. Like I said, I still picked the book up. But I dismissed it as a back-up read, something to have on hand in case I was bored or in need of a quick fix of fluff.Then I came across countless reviews that said it was oh-so-amazing. I began to think maybe I'd judged it too harshly. So, curious to see what all the fuss was about, I picked it up on Sunday, at around 5pm. By 1am I was more than half way through and deliriously tired, but still had to force myself to put it down. Because I was already in love. The story was charming, the characters real, the chemistry sizzling, and woven together it was all so refreshingly normal. But that doesn't mean it was ordinary. Far from it. Yep, I admit it: I was really wrong about this book. Which is my hard luck, because it means I spent months with this awesomeness right under my nose and didn't know it. Sure Anna and the French Kiss is fun and it's fluffy, but it's so not cheesy - and it's most definitely not a back-up read. It's a must-read. Like, now!